Monday, January 24, 2005
The 2 main languages in Singapore have each acquired its own stereotypic connotation.
With 'cheena' and its attached implication of being china-related, uncool, not westernized, the lower-classes, the i-cant-communicate-with-the-cheenaness' mindset etc etc, the gap between the 2 language-speaking classes are becoming increasingly evident.
So wad if I am more chinese-educated than u are? Well, being a chinese, isnt ur heritage worthy of being treasured and passed on to the future generations?
I am proud of Sg's bilingualism policy initiated by MM Lee KY. It's a stepping stone for Singaporeans to master the art of bilingualism and translation. It's an incentive for Singaporeans.
Yes indeed, 2 languages are hard to master to a certain level of proficiency, but since we r given this opportunity, why waste it and think of it as a chore to learn a second langauge?
It's not a chore, it's a blessing.
I shall not be harsh on those who are unable to read chinese, or speak mandarin but I just dun understand how can one (chinese), staying in the multi-racial land of Sg for at least 20 years, yet cant converse in the easiest mandarin dialogue.
Reading Chinese characters may be tedious. esp with the different strokes and all. but speaking the basic mandarin?
And wad's wrong with a more chinese-educated person going out with an english-educated one (so as to speak) ? Is the gap unbridgeable?
So wad if chinese songs in ktv are my favourite? Does that equate to impossible communication with an english-educated guy?
I admire those with the ability to be bilingual with high proficiency. An immediate eg wld be Diana Ser. Especially when she's a Malaysian. Adds to the impressiveness and admiration.
She speaks very well in both English and Mandarin, and I respect her for her professional hosting capabilities. Hopefully, this is the level I can accomplish.
Its not easy to learn a second language. To be able to master it well is even harder. But we are fortunate enuff in the Sg system to at least be given the chance to try.
A quote from Melvin: "The main thing that distinguishes us Chinese from Ang Mohs is the ability to speak Mandarin."
![]() ![]() |

