I really like this article. How true and accurate it is. The devil alcohol which brings out ur most inner self. The side no one knows and no one understands. Maybe even the person he/herself. The repressed child in u.
Freud must have been a drinker himself to derive his psychoanalysis theories.
just kidding *winks*
**************************************************************************************
SOMETIMES, truth can be found in the oddest of places.
I'm not a hard-core party-goer. But I've been to enough clubs and rambunctious house parties to realise this: Nothing brings out the real character of a person better than a shot of alcohol.
You enter a club with a bunch of friends, all sensible, decent and well brought-up human beings.
Then, from the third tequila shot (or equivalent) onwards, things start to change.
Their eyes start to wander out of focus. Their tongues are loosened. Their feet get tappy. And they grind their hips a little too confidently.
Bit by bit, alcohol chips away the years of parent-inculcated manners, proper enunciation and deep-seated inhibitions.
What's left is the person's inner core. And this is when you get to see a person for who he or she really is.
Take my friends, for example.
Pamela is a picture-book beauty. Wholesome and courteous to a fault, she volunteers at the zoo every week and is someone whom I'd consider a sure-fire hit should any guy take her home to meet his mother.
But ply her with a few Vodka Ribenas and get ready for startling revelations. Suddenly, she takes on a heightened fluency in coarse language. This daughter of two schoolteachers also likes to do rude things to poles.
She first met her boyfriend when, curled up in a corner of a club, she solicited him by calling him a 'faggot'. Luckily for her, he found it a turn-on. They've been together ever since.
What has alcohol revealed about her? A person who was brought up conservatively and unhappily repressed, and who now harbours a dark side.
My other party pal is Pete, a market analyst. He is a tense, no-nonsense white-collar stiff who worries a lot about the economy.
But while he's a downright bore during the day, he's a blast at night.
Offer him a few rounds of Sex On The Beach and he's a demon on the dance floor. The stock market could crash, and all he'd want to do is groin-swivel to Ricky Martin.
Alcohol revelation? A free spirit. Chained to a money-obsessed world. Believes that music is the only cure.
There are plenty of other alcohol-induced behaviours to look out for in any setting.
A girl who drapes herself over her boyfriend all night like a baby chimpanzee is insecure and high-maintenance.
A guy who spits expletives at every opportunity is angsty and has a few issues to resolve.
A person who shrieks, then hugs anyone vaguely familiar is an affectionate, peace-loving soul who was cuddled a lot as a child.
This method of psychoanalysis has made me quite smart in reading people.
If I want to get to know someone better, I don't go out for a coffee and listen to their sales pitches. Oh no. I go drinking with them and let alcohol bare their inner psyche.
I met up with an old classmate recently - a laid-back, smooth-talking banker. But the minute the martinis kicked in, he was all grouchy and nagging to go home.
The next time he threw me a suave, man-of-the-world line, I thought to myself: 'Dude, you don't fool me.'
And how about this virtuous, Bible-reading hottie I had my eye on some time back? One night, made raunchy by a few glasses of gin, he sent me a few SMSes which I can only describe as ungodly.
Talk to the hand, baby.
Recently, I was expounding this theory to a friend when she told me about another method of equal, if not surpassing, revelatory powers.
'Play mahjong,' said Rose, a 49-year-old owner of a prominent PR agency in town.
She plays mahjong with her clients every weekend, so she knows what she's talking about.
In fact, she swears that playing mahjong is an essential, pre-determining step in mate selection.
Watch out for men who play their hand with a straight, expressionless face, she says.
They are masters of deception, able to fool you into believing that their dud hands are wallet-emptying winners. You don't need stellar liars like these in relationships.
Also, stay away from men who flare their tempers after losing, then position their wallet, mobile phone or shoes for better feng shui until they win.
Who needs stingy, competitive sore losers?
The men to look out for are those who can laugh off their losses and who are not exacting about payment when they win - especially those who 'play to give away money', said Rose.
People like that are big-hearted givers who see the game beyond the dollars and cents, but as a form of bonding between individuals.
'So before you decide to marry someone, bring him here to play mahjong with me,' she offered.
I sure will, I told her.
In fact, I will tank him up with a few shots of tequila before hauling him over for a face-off with Rose and her ivory tiles.
With the combined help of alcohol and mahjong, no turkey's going to get past these fingers.
![]() ![]() |

