Friday, June 03, 2005
To a certain level, I feel like I can relate myself to Mary Wells Lawrence (author of A Big Life in Advertising), the woman who created many miracles and who was one of those who initiated a revolution in advertising in the US post-war era. Can identify with her in the sense of being brave and bold enuff to take risk, and possess a vision whenever we see potential in sth.
Well, of cos I am soooo insignificant as compared to her achievements in life in general, and specifically in advertising. I am a nobody. Maybe, I shldnt even think of comparing myself to her in the first place! hah. She is indeed one strong and successful woman.
The reason why I mention the above derives from the situation I am currently facing right now. It has come to a point when I really have to make a decision for my future. At least for the next 1-2 years.
I totally appreciate what P and J (the 2 directors of F*****) have offered me in terms of the choices I have to stay on in Auz to cont working for them. I can't emphasise how grateful I am seriously.
They have, several times, expressed their concern abt my future after graduation (more like after exams, cos my graduation wun be anytime soon till abt October). Knowing that it's unlikely I get to apply for PR cos I am 15 pts short of the min requirements of 120 pts for int'l students, they suggested applying for a working visa for me.
Unfortunately, I spoke to an immigration lawyer, and to be honest, the chances of that happening are very slim. What happens is the employer needs to justify the reasons for sponsoring this foreigner, and the reasons approved usually encompass things like bringing new trade opportunities from overseas, networking, and starting a new technology etc etc, which I dun think is applicable to my situation at all.
So there goes.
Just when I tot, yepz, it's really time for me to go back home, P suggested another option of an interest-free loan for a post grad dip in RMIT (in Advertising) for another year, just so I can cont working for them part time. Of cos, there is a risk that they have to undertake, which is how I am gonna pay them back if I still cant stay in Auz after graduating from that course. Anyone can just 'flee' the country and leave them financially short of a whoppin' 16 k!
Then, today, P talked to me again, and told me how he and J have come up with yet another brilliant idea. That is, me to work for them remotely in Sg. As a campaign coordinator. So basically, I will have my own home office. Woohoo. How exciting it is not to be bounded to a 9-to-5 job, and having all the time to be used at my own discretion. No doubt there are always distractions, I believe my self discipline will come into control. heh.
furtheremoe, there is also a chance that F***** mgt be setting up an office here to open its door to the Sg market and expand our services to clients based in Sg. Well, if that happens, I can cerrtainly forsee some personal career growth for myself. Otherwise, like wad Jon commented, I mgt potentially be wasting 1-2 yrs working for a co. which has no chances of promotion.
hmm. which kindda makes sense. thou getting promoted is absolutely not in my priority list at the moment.
pay wise will be based on the normal rate for a fresh grad in the Sg mkt.
the deal seems quite lucrative, from how I see it now. online marketing, thou not really my cup of tea and dun fit into my ideal job description, is sth I wldnt mind doing for the next yr at least.
one thing, for sure, I wun be able to commit myself to other part time jobs in Sg, as there cld be some conflicts of interest, whether I am aware of it or not. So its entirely up to me as to how i wanna spend all my time working at home.
it's surprising to know how willing they are to keep me as their employer despite considerably higher maintenance costs (they are paying for internet services, and computer and long distance calls for constant communication).
well well. I have about a week to make up my mind. advice anyone?
![]() ![]() |

