Sunday, July 03, 2005
I'm done with A Big Life in Advertising by Mary Wells Lawrence.
No doubt, I'm extremely inpressed with Mary's leadership capabilities which allow her to live her life to the fullest by following her passion/love for advertising, tat's why it is such a pity to see her efforts go down the drain after her agency's merger with BDDP.
Somehow, thou, the book leaves me with the feeling of resistance towards advertising. Instead of pushing my motivation forward to realise my likings for this creative industry, it held me back a lil. My feelings now are more aligned with those of the culture jammers. It seems like I can relate to how and why culture jamming occurs. Those commercial advertisements which do nothing but to lure prospective buyers into the world of capitalism. Buy, buy, buy. Buy more, buy more, buy more. Advertisers/Advertising agencies will do all they can to appeal to the correct target audience.
It's a tad worrying that the book has such an effect on me, someone who has the passion to work in the industry of innovative copywriting and beautiful ads, but the story indeed offers me a whole new perspective.
Not saying this is a bad thing or wadsoever. I always believe it's a virtue to be able to view things from different angles before jumping to a conclusive deduction. So at least I wun get biased in a certain way if I do commit myself to advertising in the future (hmmm, thou what I'm doing now is related to advertising too :p).
![]() ![]() |

